Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I love Election Day

Always have.

I was raised in a political atmosphere. My great-uncle, Truman Baker (nicknamed "the Kingmaker"), was one of the grey old men who would sit in a suite at the Marion Hotel in Little Rock, Arkansas, smoking "seegars", drinking good bourbon (served by scantily clad young ladies), playing high-stakes poker---and deciding who they, as the Power Brokers of the Democratic Party of Arkansas, would "back" (meaning "choose") in the Democratic primary (the de facto election in Arkansas until the Reagan Revolution).

Our family was politically involved, and it was just assumed that the children of the family would learn about politics and be politically aware. Of course, as a Baby Boomer, I also was politically active and interested.

I remember going with my Dad to vote in 1964; I wore my cowboy hat (of course) and one of the old gentlemen at the polling place asked me, "Who are you going to vote for, Tex?" and I responded (at the top of my lungs), "ALL THE WAY WITH LBJ!" to general laughter and agreement.

I was a big fan of Bobby Kennedy; I watched the '68 election intently, my first to "really" pay attention. I watched his speech on TV from the Ambassador Hotel, and of course was shocked and horrified at the events later that night.

I detested Richard Nixon, and was (like many other Americans) delighted that stolid Gerald Ford took over from Tricky Dick.

My first election was '76, and I voted for the peanut farmer from Plains, GA, Jimmy Carter. Jimmy disappointed me, but I voted for him again in 1980, when Reagan swept the country. Voted for Reagan (gasp!) for re-election over Fritz Mondale and Geraldine Ferraro (just couldn't handle Fritz). Then held my nose and voted for Dukakis.

I was thrilled when Bill Clinton from Hope, Arkansas was elected President. I was so proud of him, and still am. I don't care who he has sex with (I view that as "none of my business".). I thought he had the chance to be a GREAT president, but of course the religionistas and the Republicans would have none of that.

Just think, when George W. Bush took office, we had a budget surplus, peace reigned supreme, and the biggest worry of the political world was whether Billy boy lied about getting a blow job from a 28 year old woman on the Resolute Desk.

Then the worst 8 years of my life, politically speaking. I truly, genuinely detest George W. Bush and live in terror of what may happen between now and January 20th...what MORE evil can he do before we finally get rid of his ass????

I'm more excited about this election than any in my lifetime. Although I was a Hillary Clinton supporter (and delegate to the Texas convention pledged to her), I wholeheartedly support Senator Barack Obama and pray that he is elected tonight.

I haven't been this excited about a candidate for a long, long time.

We shall see what tomorrow brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment