Thursday, August 15, 2013

I Stand Corrected

I am 56 years old.  I am guessing I learned to talk around 6 months (the only person who would know or care is Mother, and she’s not available to ask), and at some point began picking up big-boy words and using the dictionary.  So call it, eeehhhh, 53 years that I've been attempting to speak the language.

I speak a particular derivation of English, Southern US dialect, that I prefer to call, "Interstate 30", as I sound like most people of my generation who grew up anywhere from Dallas to Little Rock along Interstate 30.  Predominately South Arkansas, but with a little Texas twang in there.

And today I learned something!

(Never claimed to be perfect or an expert, but this one really did set me back).

It's P-R-E-R-O-G-A-T-I-V-E, not "Perogative", and it is pronounced exactly as it's spelled.

I just never knew that.  I guess everybody else did, but I didn’t.

So feel free to laugh, but at least it will be spelled and pronounced correctly from now on, at least by me.

1 comment:

  1. I have always said Perogative and I always will... if Shakespeare could make up his own words then so can I...

    ReplyDelete