Friday, October 8, 2010

Dad n Me in Boston, Day 7

Well, here we are in the hotel in Boston, repacking, going to bed early so we can catch our flight back to Texas in the morning.

It’s been a wonderful 7 days, and I’ll be glad of it till my dying day (which may come soon enough if this cold doesn’t get better; or maybe I just WANT to die and the rhinovirus is toying with me, saying, “Oh, no, you’re gonna LIVE through ME, buddy!”).

We took our time this morning leaving Brunswick, and drove down I-95 to Boston.  We’re staying in one of the suburbs.  Boston traffic is---Boston traffic.  It astonishes me that anyone would ever complain about Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, or even Austin when there are examples of traffic anarchy like Boston available. 

Drove to the “Wonderland” T station and hopped the Blue Line for downtown.  Walked around Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market, then a quick cab to the wharf to see an old friend.

Ya gotta love Legal Seafood.  Yes, it’s the tourist trap, but they really do have excellent food.  One martini later, I felt alive again.  I’m allergic to shellfish, so I had the tuna sashimi style with seaweed salad and mashed potatoes.  Dad had----a cheeseburger.  I tried to get him to try any of the sensations on the menu, but he was sticking with the tried and true, and I didn’t argue.

We were tired, worn, and I’m not feeling well, so we just came back to the hotel for the night.

Tomorrow:  Houston.

DSC_0273

DSC_0274

DSC_0276

DSC_0297-1

DSC_0278

DSC_0279

DSC_0280

DSC_0282

DSC_0283

DSC_0284

DSC_0285

DSC_0294

DSC_0292

Boston Harbor

3 comments:

  1. I cannot get my mother to eat seafood of any kind (unless you count tuna that comes out of a can). In fact, she refuses to believe that tuna originates in the ocean.

    I like all kinds of seafood (with the exception of raw oysters). Just don't have a stomach for the slime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend Jimmy Thompson refused to drink water because "fish poop in it" (not his exact word...). He preferred martini's...

    I love seafood, I just can't eat shellfish. Iodine allergy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't do the "ersters" either. When I was about 12 or 13, we took a trip to New England. At Ye Olde Union Oyster House in Boston (as I remember the name) Daddy had oysters on the half shell. I love seafood, so I was going to try one. Mother and Daddy said they never knew that anyone could get one of those slimy things halfway down and then back up.

    I remember that restaurant and Jimmy's Harborside (apparently now closed). Thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete