Monday, January 19, 2009

I am thrilled

I am thrilled, and delighted, and elated, and excited, and otherwise pumped about the fact that on Tuesday, January 20, 2009, we will swear Barack Obama in as the 44th President of the United States.

The obvious fact that Mr. and Mrs. Obama and their two beautiful daughters are African-American speaks volumes about where we are now as a country. The fact that Nathan's (and Kathy's sons', and the entire Millenial Generation's) views on the subject are NOT that we've got a black President, but that we have an excellent lawyer, Harvard Law grad, highly intelligent, seemingly competent, articulate (something that has certainly been lacking these last 8 years....) gentleman as President---that's a very exciting thing.

We're turning the page.

When I was a boy going to see my grandparents in Malvern, Arkansas, Malvern was basically "Mayberry". We were all influenced heavily by The Andy Griffith Show, and Malvern seemed to me (being raised on Air Force Bases) to be "Mayberry". I'll never forget as long as I live, walking downtown to the Bank (where Grampy was President) and passing the barber shop. There was this old black gentleman (no idea what his name even was! But he knew ME!) who, every time I'd pass, would say, "Mawnin, Mister Nick!" I always returned the greeting, but one day I stopped and said, "Sir, you shouldn't call me "Mister", I should call YOU "Mister"---I was honestly confused, he was older than me and I respected my elders!). He said, "Naw, suh, I'm nigh 70 year old, and you's white. You's Mistuh Nick and ah's (name, which I have shamefully forgotten)." Well, I couldn't figure that one out, but ok....

How far we've come. And a damn good thing, too.

I am so glad that we've got a man the caliber of Barack Obama taking the reigns. I feel much more confident, even though his task is heavy. I'm glad it's him and not me; I'm not nearly smart enough to cope with the challenges we face.

The Texas State Song actually is appropriate here (paraphrased):

God Bless You, Mr. Obama, and keep you brave and strong!

May God give him the discernment to make the difficult decisions that face us; May God give the lovely Michelle Obama the grace to stand the pressures of Presidential life; may God keep the two beautiful little girls in the palm of His Hand.

TURN THE PAGE. A NEW DAY DAWNS. THE TORCH PASSES.

Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.

1 comment: